The Session Long Project entails going through the process of influencing policymakers. In prior SLP assignments you wrote a letter to “raise a concern” and “oppose a position” or “support a position.” While these are direct ways of influencing policymakers by letter writing, there are additional indirect ways that can also achieve your objectives. Some ways are writing a letter to the editor or “Op-Eds.”
Make sure to review the Oklahoma Rehabilitation Council “Writing Op-Eds and letters to the editor” page to help you complete this assignment.
- Choose any topic that is related to the category stated in SLP 1.
- Pick a local newspaper to write to (you can use your hometown paper if you desire). Provide the name of the newspaper and the city.
- Write a one-page letter to the editor.
- Write one page of text on tips for writing a letter to the editor.
- What are some advantages of writing a letter to the editor compared to the letters from prior SLP assignments?
Recap: Your assignment should consist of: A one-page letter to the editor and one page on tips/advantages for writing a letter to the editor.
Length: 2 pages (excluding the cover page and the reference list).